Wednesday 1 September 2010

Guest Post... Blogladesh a view from home

This is a guest post written by my husband Yan.

I write this post from the position of a person sat in their home in the UK whose wife is in the field in Bangladesh. By nature I am a pragmatic person. I search for solutions and try not to get too clouded by sentiment or emotion.
When Sian said she had been asked to visit Bangladesh by Save the Children, my first reaction were concerns about her safety. I realised though, that it was not in the best interests of Save the Children to allow any harm to come to her.  I was really happy that she had been given this opportunity. On reflection though at no point did I even consider the people of Bangladesh or what she would witness. I presumed it was just the kind of thing you see on the television where celebrities visit crisis zones. It is very sad and we are happy to donate but that’s it. I lead a busy life with lots of responsibilities.  
What I completely failed to account for was when a person you know is telling you straight about what they witness you respond differently. No longer do you just watch but you become involved. 
What I hadn’t grasped was that poverty is not a point for clever debate. Poverty is not a statistic on a chart. Poverty is real and the people it affects have names and lives and hopes and dreams. In the case of some of the people that Sian has met, dreams may be the life of their baby or the hope that their children may grow to be adults. Both these dreams are far from forgone conclusions. I have heard of babies lying on hospital tables because they don’t have any beds. Toilets (holes dug in the ground) are situated next to ponds used for drinking. Babies are dying from diseases that are preventable and curable.  People are living in squalour and filth. Babies are dying in vast numbers. But look at the pictures the team have taken. They show children smiling and genuine joy in their faces in spite of everything they face. Is that not a sign of the beauty of humanity and why it should be protected? If you look closer at the pictures and divert your gaze from the smiling faces and look at backgrounds then you begin to see a bigger picture. I get it now. She has made it is real.
We live in a world driven by violence and retaliation. Consider if the money the west put into getting revenge was used to “get” poverty, what would that achieve? Could we not embrace all the worlds cultures and beliefs as a global community? Those who would seek to do harm would be marginalised and perhaps over time be no more.  This is not meant as a political statement, just an idea.
Articles will of course be written on why this can never work. Some will be convincing and others less so. The thing is though, that whilst we procrastinate, people are dying. Whilst we find reasons for not supporting or helping, people are dying. Whilst we look the other way, people are dying.
The goverments of the world have the ability to end world poverty within one generation, but ultimately they have other priorities. Before Sian went to Bangladesh I would have seen the sense in that and thought nothing else of it.
What Blogladesh has made me realise is that there is nothing more precious than the gift of life bestowed on a child and each child in Bangladesh has just the same rights as our children. There is nothing heroic or beautiful in their plight. They are people in trouble and as people, we owe it to our humanity to help.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a pretty powerful blog there Yan! Sian and the others are doing a great job although I may have shed some tears reading all the posts! If their trip saves even a few people it will have all been worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Emma. I considered the following.

    1. Is there enough money in the global community to end poverty? I think there is. Governments may chose to spend that money on other things but that money exists all the same.

    2. Are there enough resources in the global community to end poverty? I think there is.

    3. Do the governments we rely on for action have the will to end poverty? Unfortunately I believe they do not.

    So really, 2/3 is not a bad start. People may think that I am over simplifying things but I believe it is they who are over complicating things so that they can get away without doing what is required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Emma. I considered the following.

    1. Is there enough money in the global community to end poverty? I think there is. Governments may chose to spend that money on other things but that money exists all the same.

    2. Are there enough resources in the global community to end poverty? I think there is.

    3. Do the governments we rely on for action have the will to end poverty? Unfortunately I believe they do not.

    So really, 2/3 is not a bad start. People may think that I am over simplifying things but I believe it is they who are over complicating things so that they can get away without doing what is required.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Emma. I considered the following.

    1. Is there enough money in the global community to end poverty? I think there is. Governments may chose to spend that money on other things but that money exists all the same.

    2. Are there enough resources in the global community to end poverty? I think there is.

    3. Do the governments we rely on for action have the will to end poverty? Unfortunately I believe they do not.

    So really, 2/3 is not a bad start. People may think that I am over simplifying things but I believe it is they who are over complicating things so that they can get away without doing what is required.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is powerful stuff. It is not new stuff, but it is powerful. My question to the Blogladesh team, however, is this: Words and pictures ARE the most powerful media for negotiation BUT what can we do to make ours stand out from the rest, get noticed and have the impact we need to make a difference? Unfortunately you said it yourself, the world, with all its individualistic responsibilities and mini-lives has heard it all before and for the most part, the message is (harshly speaking) water off a duck's back.
    It is no longer about the weight of a singular organisation upon a government already stretched to the limit (politically and financially), but is about a conglomerate voice. The potential power is in a massive push of a LOT of people. This is what the girls can help to achieve in conjunction with the wonderful work Save the Children and the unsung heros in the poverty-ridden areas are already doing.
    The 'people' have the power to sway government priorities, but it will take a lot of them to do it. That is what we are up against I reckon.
    (Am I talking BS??!) Just my only humble opinion. But a brilliant and enlightening post from you. Fantastic.
    MJM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Metajugglamum. You are right that it has been said befor and how many children have died needlessly since it was last said?
    When news broke of the Blogladesh mission there was some scepticism in certain circles regarding the validity of sending a group of mummy bloggers into the field. I think I have answered why I think they are very wrong. I do not believe that politicians can solve the poverty crisis because I think they are to blame in the first place. Maybe it will take a global groundswell from mums around the world using social media as a conduit to make nations take notice.........That is of course if Blogladesh creates the same feeling in them that it has in me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaargghh so much I want to say in response to this. Yes and yes and yes. Will respond properly when I get more than 10 secs to myself!! ... ie. at 2am ... watch this space! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliantly written Yan. And you are right. We should do more to help our fellow human beings. If our own children were living in conditions like these we would be outraged. I've signed the petition thanks to Sian's work. I hope many many more will do to. Let's make a difference because together we can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Appreciated as always. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...