Monday 30 August 2010

Day 1 Ad-Din hospital

We are finally in Bangladesh and whilst we will be bringing you daily updates on the things that we have seen and the people we have met I'd just like to remind everyone why we are here.

We came to Bangladesh to raise awareness of the Millennium Development Goals ahead of September's UN summit that Nick Clegg will be attending. The goals were drawn up from the targets laid out by the Millennium Declaration, which was signed by 147 world leaders at the UN Development Summit back in 2000.
The goals are way off track and we want to put pressure on our government to deliver the promises they made when they signed that declaration.
That's it - it's very simple really. We want to get 100,000 signatures on our Press for Change petition, but that is where we really need your help. You can sign on the Facebook app or at the Save the Children site. Mention it to your friends, your colleagues, your family. Every signature makes a difference.

We have an early start tomorrow as we head out of the city to visit some of the more remote health projects that Save the Children run but I'll leave you with some images from the Ad-Din hospital that we visited today.
A slice of London in the centre of Dhaka.
This is sixteen month old Sanjita. She's one of the more healthy children we met today. She has been at the hospital for the past three days being treated for a tummy bug.
She's the most beautiful little girl - full of life and full of smiles for us all. 
The black dot on her head is to ward of evil spirits.

Rahima is three, she is was a triplet but both of her siblings died at birth. By the time she was a month old she had jaundice, pneumonia and typhoid. She has never been able to sit or do anything for herself. Her mother has been searching for a Dr to treat her and had already visited seven hospitals before being referred to Ad-Din. She is now getting the medical care that she deserves.
Jasmine is eleven. She's recovering from TB and has a skin infection due to an allergic reaction to a medication she was given prior to arriving at Ad-Din. When we arrived she was listless and barely moving. Our visit brightened her day.

It's children like these whose lives are changed by the work that Save the Children do. Help us Press for Change
Please do visit Josie and Eva's blogs to see things through their eyes.
There are lots more images on our Blogladesh Flickr Group

21 comments:

  1. wow... i am not sure what to write here. I am speechless.
    it is just fabulous what you guys are up to... the pictures make me feel very sad...!
    i will share this post as well!!!
    love from amsterdam!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, it's heartbreaking :(

    PS
    The link to Josies blog is incorrect. takes one to a very weird place lo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by what you josie and eva are doing and more inspired by the spirit of these children. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awe inspiring and heart breaking all at the same time! Take Care xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful children. I hope you guys make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was such a simple thing, to click on the facebook link and add my name.

    Hoping all goes well with your trip and that the message gets through to the people who can make a difference x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you are all doing is amazing. It will make a massive difference to these childrens lives. XxxX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having problems posting a comment but wanted you to know I've been thinking about you over the weekend as we induldged in the usual bank holiday rituals; what you, Josie and Eva are doing is amazing, you should be so, so proud.
    The hospital trip is an instant call as to why everyone should help to raise much needed awareness xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be so hard for you to appear to be the happy and to spread joy, when inside your heart is being ripped to shreads by the plight of the children.

    Looking at the pictures we see that no-matter how distressing the plight of a child is, they can still muster a smile. For me, children are all born with joy in their souls and it is us unfortunate adults that have lost our way.

    Sometimes I wonder where all the joy of life goes? These children show us that no matter what circumstances we face, the gift of life is precious and should be treasured.

    I would say that if your journey results in the saving of just a single life, it will have been time spent wisely. It is so easy to discuss infant mortality in the third world in terms of statistics but that is an insult to the gift of life. To that end, I think it is genius that Save the Children have chosen the three of you to help them in their quest because after all what better champions of children are there other than mums?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful picture of Sanjita - it was images like these than made me realise I could not leave Bangladesh and pretend to forget what I'd seen.

    I like Yan To's comment, that it's important not to get lost in statistics, that saving just one life makes any trip/fundraising effort worthwhile.

    I look forward to hearing about tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post, heartbreaking to see those lovely children but it is heartening to read the reminder about why you are there. Will be sharing this post and asking people to Press for Change. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg exactly what Yan said.

    You are doing such an amazing job, I dunno about anyone else but I feel bit pathetic sitting here in the comfort of my own home, reading your blogs and tweeting your tweets. Seeing your pics reminds me of how I felt after what I saw post hurricanes in Jamaica - very real images of people struggling to live life, and yet still living life in some of the worst circumstances.

    I already know that just by you being there will make an immense difference in the lives of these families.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this post earlier Sis but felt too emotional too comment. So I've returned to say you're doing an amazing job and I know for certain that what you are doing will make a huge difference. Please remember that. Hope Josie is holding up xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - just wow....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are all amazing people to travel so far to report back your findings. I have posted on my blog your details I don't have many followers but wanted to spread your message. My twins are 16 months and I have fretted away most of their babyhood worrying about their health (born 9 weeks early). But the children you have met have so much more problems and I truly hope they get to live a fulfilling life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this a lot earlier, but didnt know what to write, in all honosty I still dont, but just wanted to say I have been here

    ReplyDelete
  17. After reading this post and seeing that pictures I am completely speechless. You are doing a fab job dear..
    dubai apartments

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many of us are in awe of the folks who get up and 'do things' and then there are the people who actually Do do things - and make a difference. Well done all of you. This is so inspirational. All of it. Good luck and stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Browsing through these pictures and comments brings with it so many emotions. The emotion I am feeling at the moment is guilt. Guilt that I am sitting here with my tv on, the computer on my lap and munching away on a tub of Ben & Jerrys, in a warm and cosy environment with all mod cons....when those poor children are living in such poor conditions. So the ice cream is going away, it wont make any difference to those poor children, but without it on my knee, I can concentrate on spreading the word to my friends. Keep up the good work ladies, there are so many people back here supporting you xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so inspired by what you josie and eva are doing and more inspired by the spirit of these children. Well done!

     

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Appreciated as always. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...