Thursday 9 December 2010

The King & I Curve Leicester review

The Curve has to be the most beautiful awe-inspiring theatre that I've ever seen. Simply stepping through its doors offers a promise of great things and Paul Kerryson's new production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's The King & I certainly didn't disappoint.

Sumptuous costumes, simple yet stunning staging and a beautifully orchestrated score led by Musical Director Julian Kelly skilfully set the scene for this bitter sweet tale of love, honour and clashing cultures.

Janie Dee as anna is simply brilliant and her warmth, sincerity and effortless performance is matched by the entire cast. Chook Sibtain as The King gives a sensitive yet intimidating performance but it is David Needham's choreography and dancers that steal the show.

From the simplicity of the children's scenes to the sheer brilliance of the ballet of simon and Eliza - fresh, vibrant and beautiful with perfect attention to detail.


The faultless professional performances are equalled by the 18 talented local children who fought off stiff competition to win roles as the King's children.

Can you spot my girls in this pic?

If you only see one show this holiday season, make it this one.

The King & I runs till January 15th at Curve theatre, Leicester.
Want to see some more images from the show? Pop over to the Curve Facebook page.

4 comments:

  1. I looked at the photos on Facebook....it looks absolutely stunning. Wish I lived nearer so I could see it as the King and I is one of my favourite musicals ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the pics look amazing - I wish we were coming to see you but the tickets were sold out for the only day we could make:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks brilliant. I'm off to book some tickets right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing performance. It moved me to tears it was so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Appreciated as always. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...