Tuesday 9 November 2010

CyberMummy - Some tips on getting a sponsor

I had such a big response following my post offering to help bloggers hook up with sponsors for next years CyberMummy that I've put together a short guide on how to approach brands and establish mutually beneficial working relationships with them.

1. First and foremost, identify the brands that you would like to work with.
Make a list. Aim high but also be practical. Don't just target anyone and everyone.
To be a good honest brand representative you need to have some natural rapport and feel good factor for the product you are endorsing. Start by thinking about the products that you love and use every single day. If you know and are passionate about a product or a brand - your sell in to the PR is already halfway there.

2. Think small too.
At last years conference we had a lot of small brands that I managed to match with bloggers. These brands really wanted to tap into the conference but didn't have the budget to meet full conference sponsorship packages. Again, research the people you are approaching. Sponsorship isn't about take, take, take. You have to offer something valuable in return and more importantly you have to follow through on your end of the bargain.

3. Part two of your planning list should include brands who have previously reached out to you.
You might not have actually worked together in the past but that prior contact is a great starting point for a conversation. If they have contacted you it shows that they already see the benefits in working with bloggers. Be direct - ask them if they would consider sponsoring you to go to CyberMummy. Back this up with a good solid case as to why they should. For example, you have children in their target age range, you already use and love their products.

4. Be honest...
You need to have a firm idea of what you actually need to cover your conference trip.
a) Ticket (£80 till 31/12/10).
b)Travel, check to see how much it will be - there are great train deals to be had if you book ahead).
c) Hotel, if you need accommodation get a price first.
Offer this information freely to your potential sponsor. Break it down so that they can see that you are being honest with them and back it up with a list of things that you are offering them in return.
Be innovative and creative when putting together your side of the deal but I don't get so caught up in the gratitude of your sponsor that you agree to a tattoo or to give birth live on their website!

5. Be professional.
Be innovative and creative when putting together your side of the deal but I don't get so caught up in the gratitude of your sponsor that you agree to a tattoo or to give birth live on their website! Put together a proposal outlining what you are offering in return for sponsorship. Here are a few basic things you could offer. (See post on CyberMummy blog for more ideas.)
  • A blog post about the product / brand and a giveaway.
  • Share link to their site or service on Twitter and Facebook.
  • Carry a badge or an ad on your blog for a specified period.
  • Offer original copy for their website.
Then throw in a few extras when you have closed the deal like announcing your sponsorship in a post, on Twitter and Facebook just to prove what a great choice they made in sponsoring you!

The opportunities to attract and work with sponsors are limitless but be practical. Don't over inflate your sponsorship costs and be prepared to share your own blogs vital statistics.

If you need any further help or advice you know where I am! Good luck - and see you at CyberMummy11! 

If you would like to read some more tips about working with brands head over to the BMB Blog and read Natalie Lue's guest post 9 Tips on how to work with brands

**UPDATE**
I have a brand looking to sponsor London based bloggers with children aged 2 to 5 years. If this is you leave a comment with your Twitter id and I'll be in touch for more info.

22 comments:

  1. Great, practical, commensense advice Sian. Thank you. I really, want to attend again this year and stay over this time so will really need to try and get some sort of sponsorship.
    Many thanks
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.

    My son is four and a half and we are based in SW London.

    Thanks
    @01momonawire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to find a sponsor! I live in Ealing and I've got an 18 month old and a four year old! My twitter Id is @cookingkt. I came to cybermummy last year and had a fab time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt realise that some people actually got there hotel rooms sponsored last year! I think that's what I would like to look for in sponsorship this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great advice. I so want to join you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be sponsored. First time mum to Fizz who will be 1 in December. We missed last year as money was so tight whilst on maternity leave and having just returned to work our budget is tight.
    I would need a ticket sponsoring but can arrange my own transport and accomodation.
    I'm @mammamccann and @totallychelle on twitter x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great advice. Thanks Sian x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm london based and my son is 4 :) @singlemummynet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip, I'd like more info: @mananatomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sian for the advice.

    I would be interested in the sponsorship offer that you mention. I have twin 3 year old girls and we live in Herts on the outskirts of London. Not sure if that is too far out for your company?

    @michelletwinmum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the advice :)

    @themummylife

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the advice.

    I will try my mobile links to see if i can get a sponsor,

    if i don't get a chance I'm willing to do pretty much any product to bring to the table at cybermummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sian, I will be looking for a sponsor, live in London and Isabelle is 3.5 years old. @Kahanka (http://wwwallbabyadvice.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sian, Nickie (Typecast) sent me over here for some tips on getting sponsored, thanks for this post! I would love to go to Cybermummy 11, but living in Scotland, it would be quite costly for me as I'd need help with transport, plus most likely 2 nights at a hotel (I could pay for one, but two is a stretch on top of everything else!).

    I'm mum to two boys who are 5 and 3, the youngest having been diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum.

    Ideally I'd love to get a sponsor who did something to do with special needs/sensory toys, as it's something I'm passionate about. That and photography!

    @softthistle
    marylin@softthistle.net

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am most probably too late for this but I'll give it a go anyway, I am mum to twin toddlers two in July (so 2 1/4) We live in Gravesend, a 50 minute train journey to the centre. I would love to go to cybermumy and had to miss it this year as we moved house :(
    If they ahven't yet decided, please put my details forward
    @mariannewhooley
    mariannewhooley24 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am probably too late but I will give it a go. I am mum to a 2 year old and 8 week old. I write thescrummymummy and would love to go but because I am on Mat leave I'm looking for a sponsor
    @thescrummymummy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post thanks.

    Re sponsorship, I'm probably too late too! BUT... I fit the bill exactly. I'm in London, my son turns 4 in a few days and my daughter just turned 2.

    Twitter ID: @mid30slife

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi I would love to be sponsored. I have a much more active blog now so would definitely like to be there this time round!

    My twitter ID is @babysigningmum I have a 4 year old daughter and am hoping to be pregnant by the conference ;) (shhhhhhh)

    Thanks for the tips I will be putting them into practice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brighton mumma here, to Lydia 1yr1wk old! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, not to sue if i'm to late for this but I have 1yr old and a 4yr old @ljbarton

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Appreciated as always. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...